Heads or Tails is a quest in Wasteland 3.
We received two nearly simultaneous distress calls and can only get to one in time. We can either race to stop Erastus Dorsey from killing the innocent Hoon family, or follow the Patriarch's orders and defend an Arapaho covoy bringing a shipment of power armor to the Marshals in Colorado Springs.
- This is a quest introducing you to permanent decisions in the game. You receive two competing calls from the Hoons and the Arapaho caravan delivering power armor to Colorado Springs, attacked by the Dorseys and the Scar Collectors. You can only respond to one call, and these choices have ramifications down the line.
- The Hoons
- To save the Hoons, head on over to the east and then to the north to reach their homestead. At the spot you'll find Erastus Dorsey, about to break down the door between him and the Hoons. He will engage you in conversation. You have two choices here: Either escalate (apologizing for the death for his brother, then using Hard Ass 2 will demoralize the Dorseys assisting him, making the encounter easier) or resolve it diplomatically. You can use Kiss Ass 2 to make his followers ask him to fall back - faced with disobedience, he will call it off. There's him and seven supporting Dorseys with two additional beasts, so choose wisely.
- Talk to Angus Hoon to receive the automatic weapons skill book, a shitload of ammunition, and you can even steal the Hoons' Prized Rifle from the mantelpiece, though this will cause them to attack (for a rather useless gun). You can also search the area to find the Hoons' bunker, a cassette tape, and recruit Billy and Jean.
- Heading over to the convoy area afterwards will put you in a fight with some Scar Collector growlers and a bunker with the explosives skill book and another tape to loot. Patriarch's Marshals will have to make do without power armor.
- The Arapahos
- To help the caravan, head southwest, in the general direction of the Bizarre. The Convoy is under attack by Scar Collectors, who are heavily armored and very dangerous, especially for a team fresh out of Colorado Springs. You can tip the scales in your favor by sneaking around and getting the drop on them through the door immediately by the area you're in. You need Lockpick 4 to access the locked door, where you'll be able to save Georgia Overdrive with a suture kit from bleeding out and eventually get the option to shut down all of the Scar Collectors' turrets by disabling the generator with Mechanics 3. Then you can fight them a bit more fairly - and even the odds even more if you bring the Kodiak to bear.
- Once the coast is clear, use injury kits to save Shotgun and a medic pack to save Drive Train. Ensure they're safe and the latter will offer to put in a good word with the Marshals, increasing your reputation. With Kiss Ass 5, you can also squeeze 10 repair kits from her.
- As you leave the area, you'll get a call where the Hoons are executed by the Dorseys and encounter the lone survivor, Bo Hoon, on the world map, trying to take revenge on you for abandoning his family. You can disarm him - or just choose to press the pedal down and run him over with the Kodiak. You'll lose the ability to loot the bunker, though, or get Billy and Jean. You can get a waste wolf instead, though.
- The choice is up to you. If you save the Hoons, you will not get the option to get power armor sooner, but you'll be able to loot their bunker, grab Billy and Jean, and the Marshals will be easier foes when without their power armor (useful if you plan to depose Saul Buchanan). If you save the caravan, you'll get access to power armor and a major boost to your standing with the Marshals.
- Skill books can be looted from both areas
- Each choice has a different achievement associated with it
- Saving Hoons
- The Coming Storm and Erastus Dorsey's helmet
- Billy and Jean
- Collectibles and lootable bunker
- Weaker Marshals
- Saving Arapahos
- Power armor sets available for purchase
- Major increase in Marshals reputation
- Opportunity to charm two Waste Wolves at the Hoon Homestead
- Toxin Cell melee weapon mod at Hoon Homestead
Heads or Tails Save the Caravan Save the Hoon's Travel to the Hoon Homestead or the location of the Arapaho caravan. Confront Erastus Dorsey at the Hoon Homestead. Eliminate the Scar Collectors attacking the Arapaho caravan. Travel to the Hoon Homestead. The people of Colorado need the Rangers' help. Time to venture forth. You chose to save the Arapaho caravan. You chose to save the Hoon family. We saved the Hoon family by killing the Dorseys. We saved the Hoon family by convincing the Dorseys to leave without a fight. We eliminated the Scar Collectors and secured the convoy. We decided to take out the Hoon family ourselves. The Arapaho couriers manning the caravan are dead. We received two nearly simultaneous distress calls and can only get to one in time. We can either race to stop Erastus Dorsey from killing the innocent Hoon family, or follow the Patriarch's orders and defend an Arapaho covoy bringing a shipment of power armor to the Marshals in Colorado Springs. We arrived at the Hoon Homestead. Now we need to deal with Erastus Dorsey. We arrived at the location of the Arapaho convoy attack. They've been overrun by Scar Collectors who are still trying to break into the locked cabs. We need to remove the threat. We waited too long and both situations ended in death and property damage. We received a call to stop Erastus Dorsey from killing the innocent Hoon family.