Vargas was born in a predominantly Hispanic small town south of the Ranger Center. His mother was the only doctor in the town and he learned his medical skills from her.
While he was young, a gang of raiders attacked their town and slaughtered many. While he and many others were able to escape, his mother died of a gunshot wound which he was unaware of.
Him, Joe-Thomas, Pops, and Suzy tracked the raiders who attacked their town and destroyed their gang. They all went their separate ways and Snake joined the Desert Rangers to have the chance to kill as manty raiders as possible.
Snake was a fun-loving ranger who often got himself involved in many bar-brawls and fights. He earned his nickname, Snake, for being a magnet for snakebites - and surviving them every time.
During his training, he met Angela Deth, Hell Razor and Thrasher. While they were an odd bunch, Sergeant Dalton recognised that their skills gelled well together and forced them to stay part of a single squad.
General Vargas is the leader of the Desert Rangers at the Ranger Citadel, and the first person you talk to in Wastleland 2.
Snake was part of the Ranger team along with Angela Deth, Thrasher and Hell Razor that invaded and destroyed Base Cochise, ending the robotic threat to the wasteland. After the destruction of the base, Vargas continued his career as a ranger, eventually becoming the Ranger General in charge of the Desert Rangers after General Surgrue retired.
He abandoned his nickname Snake sometime around the destruction of the Base Cochise and around the time of the last bar-brawl he participated in 2092. He started becoming increasingly withdrawn, spending more time in his office than in the field operations. The death of Ace in 2102, caused him to re-evaluate his priorities and he replaced Wade Woodson as the dispatcher. He walks using a cane due to his lame leg and because of that doesn't fight in the field anymore.
- Vargas will give you the task of recovering Ace's repeater units and investigating his death.
- He will turn hostile if you attempt to dig Ace's grave in the beginning.
- He will be the radio contact of the team throughout the game, assigning them the main quests of the game.
- He gives the members of your squad field promotions once you have enough experience, allowing you to level up.
- He will react angrily if one of your team members is wearing a Spiked Collar.
- Vargas will contact you in the Rick's RV area to know when you will bring Rick Baychowski back. If you tell him he escaped or died, he'll be upset.