Hello and my concerns
Hello there, while I appreciate enthusiasm as much as any other bureaucrat, I have a number of concerns:
- You have unilaterally capitalized articles that do not require capitalization as they are not proper nouns, like radiation.
- You have added an unnecessary Incomplete template to numerous articles.
- You have copied contents of pags to their new destinations, rather than using the Move option included in the software.
- You have recategorized most of the contents of the wiki without consulting it with anyone, least of all the bureaucrats in charge of the project.
I have no choice but to restore the original category trees. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but please, do consult the changes you make, especially if they are far reaching. Tagaziel (talk) 09:59, 20 October 2014 (UTC)
- Hey Sav, first off, apologies if I came off as rude, but it came out of the left field for me at a moment when I took a break or a few days. I'm protective of good organization and categories are a particular focus of mine. So, again, apologies for my rudeness.
- You seem to have the best interests of the wiki on your heart, so let me compensate any moral, mental, physical, or spiritual losses you may have incurred as a result of my messages ;).
- Our Gamepedia help wiki is an excellent starting point for familiarizing yourself with the software and making sure that nothing gets broken too much.
- If you want to create specific articles for game mechanics et al, remember two things:
- In general, avoid tagging articles with a template if you want to make a personal to do list. Short of making one on a personal subpage (eg. User:Savsavix/stuff), I'd use a category. I've created one that will not appear on the page when viewed, but will be present in edit mode and function as a normal category: Category:Savsavix's to-do category. I should be able to go through the wiki with some of my tools tomorrow to replace the templates and add the pages to your to-do list.
- As far as categories go, with 1200 articles to organize, any changes need to be well planned. If you have an idea on how to make these better, I'm all ears. Just, don't go directly for the wires. :)
- I restored Robinsons and redirected it to Robbinsons to ease navigation. Common misspellings should be used as redirects.
- When possible, information should be broken down into smaller articles. CLASSIC, custom portrait etc. focus on a specific subset of the subject. Always think of it in terms of end user convenience. Someone looking just for how to make custom portraits shouldn't have to wade through an entire article.
- Laser pistol (Wasteland 2) is a proper article. Items should have their dedicated, game-specific articles, rather than single ones that correspond to all.
- As a wiki, we aim to document all aspects of the series. Articles about unused factions and skills serve a vital purpose, documenting how it evolved over time.
- Last, you can fix superfluous articles with redirects. #REDIRECT [[Target article]]
- I'll be doing more work tomorrow, you have real potential, however! Tagaziel (talk) 19:32, 21 October 2014 (UTC)