Wasteland Wiki

Similar to Fountain of Dreams, of all games, Wasteland 3 allows you to gain mutations while driving through irradiated zones. These are assigned randomly, depending on the level of radioactive field you pass through and once acquired can only be removed by No-Glo. Note that No-Glo will remove both positive and negative effects caused by radiation, so it's best to avoid getting radiation damage on characters that already have positive mutations/effects, otherwise it's like an all-or-nothing gamble.

Mechanics[ | ]

There are distinct levels of radiation for the game, each rolling for doses every 1.5 seconds.

  • Level 1 Radiation unprotected (deals 7.5% CON damage per dose, base chance to roll mutations/effects)
  • Level 2 Radiation unprotected (deals 20% CON damage per dose, double chance for mutations/effects)
  • Level 3 Radiation unprotected (deals 30% CON damage per dose, triple chance for mutations/effects)

When you roll for mutations, there are unequal odds. Negative effects have a 40 point weight each, while beneficial ones have just 9. There are three negative effects and nine positive mutations to gain, giving you a roughly 60% chance to gain a negative effect and a 40% chance to get a positive mutation (and a little over 10% to get a specific one).

Mutations[ | ]

Type Name Image Effects Description
General Irradiated Icon StatusEffect Irradiated L2 You're glowing bright and feeling terrible.
Negative effects Nausea Icon StatusEffect Irradiated L3 -1 AP You're feeling queasy and nauseous.
Shakes Icon StatusEffect Shakes -10% Hit chance You can't hold your hands straight.
Weakness Icon StatusEffect Weakness -15% CON You're feeling light-headed.
Positive mutations Animal Reflexes Icon StatusEffect Animal Reflexes +5% Evasion Your reaction times are heightened significantly beyond human levels.
Chromatic Skin Icon StatusEffect ChromaticSkin +1s Detection time You're just a tiny bit more chameleon.
Extra Elbow Icon StatusEffect ExtraElbow +25% Throwing range Takes being double-jointed to a whole other level.
Flesh Pocket Icon StatusEffect FleshPocket +1 Quick Slots Gross, but surprisingly functional.
Hardened Skeleton Icon StatusEffect HardenedSkeleton +4 Armor Your bones have hardened and thickened.
Hyper-Intelligence Icon StatusEffect HyperIntelligence +5% Experience bonus You're seeing possibilities you never knew existed.
Scale Skin Icon StatusEffect Scale Skin +10% Status effect resistance Your skin has become dry and scaly, capable of sustaining great blows.
Third Eye Icon StatusEffect Third Eye +5% Critical chance Now you know what it means when they say someone's got eyes on the back of their head.
Webbed Toes Icon StatusEffect Webbed Toes +0.5 Combat Speed Who knew being a fish-person would have its upsides?

See also[ | ]